Monday, September 3, 2018

Summer Trip Back Home - Part 3

I think this will be the final installment of my summer vacation. I do have some other photos but they are mostly of my family and therefore too personal to share here.
I am sure there are many historical sites around Salt Lake City but the one that I always went to and know the most about is Wheeler Farm.


This is the homestead, which you can get tours through but we were here on a Sunday so tours were closed. I have gone through the house a couple of times on school field trips and such, and it's pretty neat from what I remember. Lots of antique furniture and period clothing.




There were a bunch of these plaques and photos around the inside of the barn. There is lots of info but some of them were a little difficult to get to because the barn is full of farm equipment. Maybe Sunday isn't the best day to go to get a detailed experience but there is a really nice farmers market in the parking lot. The photo below is the ceiling of the barn, which I thought made neat patterns so I made a couple different copies using different filters; this one was my favorite.


And, of course, what would a farm be without some animals. They had all the typical animals that you would expect from pigs to sheep to horses and cows. They also had peacocks and turkeys as well as a pond full of geese and ducks.




I was curious about the blindfolds they had on the horses so I asked and one of the farm hands said that they acted like sunglasses for the horses and it helped to keep them calm as well. So there you go.



I love seeing faces on inanimate objects and this one was quite the character.
Even though we didn't get to see inside the house, they did offer wagon rides around the grounds so we did that instead.
It was good to see that they have been keeping the place running for all these years. Visiting historic sites like this is a great way to learn about your city's history and create some fun memories.
That is it for me. Next post is going to be another Weird Wednesday so you won't want to miss it!

No comments: