Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Wandering In The Valley

I live in the Canadian prairie and a common joke around here is that its so flat you could see your dog run away for days. While it does feel wide and open the landscape is also riddled with lakes and rivers which have created deep valleys and ravines. A well known spot about a five minute drive from where I live is the Qu'Appelle Valley. There are beaches and trails that are popular in the summer and Echo Beach is one of my favorite spots. It's easy to get to and the beach combing always brings up something interesting.
I like to go wandering around here every now and then just to see what I can find and to take pictures of the changing landscape. As I am a collector of natural things, I usually go home with a few new treasures with every visit. I thought I would share some of the photos I took back in July.




This is a tee-pee amphitheater that is tucked away amidst the camp grounds. Its got all sorts of colorful graffiti in it. Some of it is kind of crude but still amusing.





This gnarly looking stump was hanging out on the edge of the beach. It had some mushrooms growing on a few of the branches. I found quite a lot of mushrooms that day, as you will see in the following photos.






I really would like to find out if any of these mushrooms would be edible. I love the idea of foraging for wild mushrooms and then frying them up with a little bit of butter and garlic and putting them on toast. Yum! Now I want mushroom toast.





One of the many roadside trails that people can walk along. The view across the water is directly to the right of this shot. It's absolutely beautiful to wonder around here. In the summertime, you are almost guaranteed to come across a fisherman or people in boats on the lake.

That is all for now. I know I have a bad habit of going on adventures but not posting about it until weeks or even months later. I will try to do better with that for the future. Laters!

No comments: