Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Weird Wednesday - A Haunting

I'm back to bring you my first strange tale of something truly weird. One of my favorute things to talk about in terms of weird things is haunted houses. I've never gone on a ghost hunt myself but it would be something I would be intereseted in doing.
One of the more well known haunted houses in the US is Scutt Mansion.


It is currently known as the P. Seth Masgosky Museum of Victorian Life & Joliet History and was sometimes referred to as Barb Villa. It is a historic residence in Joliet, Illinois and was built by Hiram Scutt, who was a Civil War veteran. He opened H. B. Scutt & Co., the first barbed wire manufacturer in Joliet, in 1874. He was part of General Sherman’s Army that captured Atlanta. Scutt held ten patents for varieties of barbed wire fencing. 
The mansion was designed by Joliet architect James C. Wesse and was built in 1882 at an estimated cost of $40,000. It was constructed in the Second Empire style with elements influenced by the Eastlake Movement. Scutt sold his business in 1884 and started the Joliet Barbed Wire Company. He was also the president of the Joliet Wire Check Power Company and the Citizens Electric Company. 


(sorry, the only good images I could find of the interior were the stairs, wah wah)


Following his death in 1889 at the age of 47, Hiram's son Frank W. Scutt owned the mansion. He was secretary of the Joliet Wire Company. The house was later sold to Daniel Robertson, who allowed a variety of women's schools, such as the Business Woman's Club House, to operate in the mansion. He lived in the mansion until 1916. The mansion held such classes until 1977, when it again became solely a single-family residence. Recently, the house has been opened to the public as a banquet hall. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 5, 2003.  
( source: http://www.museumofvictorianlife.org/)

So, you may be wondering how this beautiful mansion came to be haunted. According to an article from Realty Today, unnatural death is to blame: "The residence has endured a murder and several deaths and the spirits of the deceased now inhabit the architectural masterpiece. The giant Victorian home sits behind a fenced compound as if it were guarding a mystery. The three-story home has hardwood flooring and high ceilings. There is a doll-room, filled with dolls that depict the Victorian life. The room happens to be the creepiest of all with cold-spots being felt there."



Cool beans! Sounds like a place I want to visit, though I admit, I would be hesitant to stay there alone. Now, there are a couple of "ghost hunting" shows that I enjoy watching. One of them is Paranormal Lockdown, where Nick and Katrina will stay in a haunted location for three days straight while conducting their investigation. Scutt Mansion happened to be one of their destinations and I have a short clip from there episode below. 


So Intriguing!! If you want to see the full episode just look up Scutt Mansion videos on google.

My thoughts on this place are, even if its not really haunted, it definitely has an energy and a presence that you can feel just looking at photos of it. I for one am a believer in ghosts. I have never seen a ghost personally, but I have felt the presence of something in a room when I was all by myself. 
Next time, I want to present an unconventional theory to you about Bigfoot being a ghost. Until next time, stay spooky! 

No comments: