Thursday, September 13, 2018

What I've Been Watching

It's been a while since I have posted about the horror movies I have been watching lately, so here we go. I'm going to be talking about three films again, three seems like a good number so that's what I'm going to go with. The movies for today are Winchester, Mom and Dad and The Invitation. These have all come out within the last five years and are all very different from each other.
First on the list, Winchester(2018):


Ensconced in her sprawling California mansion, eccentric firearm heiress Sarah Winchester believes she is haunted by the souls of people killed by the Winchester repeating rifle. (IMDB) This film is based on actual events which makes it all the more intriguing. 
Staring Helen Mirren as Lady Winchester, it's set in the later years of construction on the Winchester mansion. Dark and gothy, it offers a sympathetic ear to the paranormal torture Sarah Winchester went through. 



While this is not the greatest haunting movie ever made I enjoyed the angle that they focused on and found the jump scares to be entertaining enough.
For those of you not aware, the Winchester mansion is a sprawling array of architectural nonsense, meant to confuse and trap evil spirits. I would love to actually visit this house one day. There are tours available but, alas, it resides in California and I am in Canada. Perhaps one day.


The above is an image of the actual house. It looks amazing but for all its splendor it's known as one of the most haunted houses in North America.
I would recommend this movie, bearing in mind, that anytime a movie is based on true events, elements of the story will be changed. That's just how it is.
Next up on the list, Mom and Dad(2017):


A teenage girl and her little brother must survive a wild 24 hours during which a mass hysteria of unknown origins causes parents to turn violently on their own kids.(IMDB) Staring Selma Blair and Nicholas Cage it's a bit of a strange film that ended up being a little more humorous than I think it intended. 



The plot isn't fully fleshed out so you're left with a lot of questions but one of the best parts is Nick Cage saying, "Saws All means saws all!" He is referring to an electric knife that he is chasing his kids with and it's delivered in that comedic, manic fashion that we have all come to know and love him for.


I would recommend seeing this one but only if you are a Nick Cage fan cause laughing at his performance is kind of worth it. Just be prepared to get to the end and go, What?
And finally, we have the most boring of the three movies, The Invitation(2015):


While attending a dinner party at his former home, a man thinks his ex-wife and her new husband have sinister intentions for their guests. (IMDB) The only reason I even knew about this one was because it was reviewed on my favorite podcast: Night of the Living Podcast. (check it out, its amazeballs!) They said it was a good movie but I call bullshit. 



Maybe it was because I didn't really know any of the actors or because I'm not that interested in cults but for me this was a long and tedious movie where not much of anything happens. Really, you just kind of feel sorry for these people by the end. I don't want to spoil it in case you do want to watch it but I wouldn't recommend it. Now if you want to see a really disturbing and creepy film about a dinner party check out The Perfect Host with David Hyde Pierce. You'll never see Niles Crane the same again.
That's all I've got for now. Stay spooky, dark ones.

No comments: