Saturday, August 11, 2018

SummerTrip Back Home - Part 1

For those of you who don't know, I am originally from Salt Lake City, Utah. My family had planned a get-together this summer so I thought it was time for a visit. Due to some unfortunate events with my grandmother, we weren't able to have a big family weekend but I did get to see everybody. I stayed with my brother so I got to see him and his family quite a bit (my little niece is getting so big!). Since I managed to cram so much into a two week vacation I'm going to split this post up into multiple parts (as you probably figured from the title).

We did so many fun things its hard to know where to begin. The first thing we did was go to Hogle Zoo, which I haven't seen in decades. It was really cool to see all the different animals and everything they have changed over the years. There were lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) but they were all sleeping because it was stupid hot out. I liked seeing the polar bears play with a bucket in the water. Unfortunately, my computer will not recognize my ipod, which has all my pictures from the zoo on it, so I don't have anything to show you.
What I can show are some of my favorite things from the natural history museum.


Of course, one of my favorite things is dinosaurs so naturally they were a main feature. My favorite dinosaur is probably Triceratops but Jurassic Park has made me very fond of Velociraptors. I haven't seen Jurassic World 2 yet, so NO SPOILERS!



There were a couple of really neat spots where you could see things in the floor. It always makes me a little nervous to walk on glass floors. Still cool, though.


That cool dude to the right is me bro.


 If you know me you probably know that barn owls are my favorite creature on the planet. This was an absolutely gorgeous specimen they had but it was difficult to get a good angle on him.





There was a also a Native American exhibit. They had a lot of similar artifacts as what we have at the Regina museum, which makes sense because the wondering tribes would have been similar as here. 
I really like the prehistoric tooth jewelry below.



This was a really neat station that let you put together pieces of broken pottery to make a full pot. I managed to fit one entirely together and I felt pretty good about it.

Well, this is the end of the museum and the end of part one of my vacation. I hope you enjoyed it and will come back for parts two and possibly three. There is going to be an historic farm and aerial hammocks and I'm also working on a separate post involving pressed plants. Stay tuned!

If you would like to see more of the museum, comment below cause I have tons more pictures. 

No comments: